DreamWear is the next generation CPAP mask that uses an innovative air through frame technology allowing for maximum comfort and freedom for sleep apnea sufferers.
Designed to feel like you're not wearing a mask DreamWear's revolutionary design directs airflow through the frame to give users the freedom to sleep comfortably and unrestricted. By relocating the hose connection from in front of the face most of the expected complexity that creates a barrier to their sleeping partners is eliminated. Red marks to the face are reduced and patients can achieve any sleep position, even kissing their partner goodnight. This allows a more comfortable, freeing and humanizing sleep solution, treating sleep apnea and enabling users to have the perfect night's sleep.
The design brief:
· Deliver a new archetype in CPAP mask that offers 360 degree freedom of movement and reduced complexity.
· Create a scalable platform to accommodate a variety of use cases and head styles.
· Offer a wider field of view and minimize parts around the face.
· Increase comfort and ease of use through reduced parts.
· Reduce 'red marks' through considered material choice within engineering constraints.
· Align to Philips design identity through materiality and form.
The design challenge:
· Designing a simple, approachable artifact within challenging manufacturing constraints.
· Relocating the tubing to the top of the head and rethinking the air flow path.
· Improving comfort and ease of use without impacting air flow.
· Influencing the design direction and improving usability after transitioning from research to production.
· Rigorous test and iterate process from initial design sketch to production.
The User Insights:
For users of CPAP masks, dignity, comfort and freedom of movement are critical in ensuring an effective night's sleep. Users describe feeling 'tethered', claustrophobic and embarrassed with the hose located in front of their face and point to existing solutions as their biggest barrier to continuing therapy. Current mask designs, although functionally effective, add bulk in front of the face; creating extra weight and creating a barrier with the users loved ones. They restrict movement and limit the way people normally sleep. Overwhelming patients describe their perfect mask as being 'invisible' and unnoticeable when worn.
How was it developed?
A process that started with a design concept to envision the future of CPAP therapy and continued with a close collaboration with marketing and engineering through to production. Prototypes were extensively developed, tested and redesigned through in-depth user testing and feedback.
DreamWear is the next generation CPAP mask that uses an innovative air through frame technology allowing for maximum comfort and freedom. Designed to feel like you're not wearing a mask, DreamWear's revolutionary design directs airflow through the frame to give users the freedom to sleep comfortably and unrestricted. By relocating the hose connection from in front of the face we eliminate most of the expected complexity that creates a barrier to their sleeping partners – allowing us to delivering a more comfortable, freeing and humanizing sleep solution to treating sleep apnea; enabling users to have the perfect night's sleep.
· 360 degree sleep; Patients can achieve any sleep position – stomach, side or back with the air through tube.
· Tubing is no longer a barrier between the patient and their partner- they can kiss their partner goodnight
· Patients can move freely without cumbersome tubing in their way
· Clear line of sight to read or watch television
· One mask offers many of the benefits of nasal and pillows at a reduced perception of size
· Minimal contact under the nose cushion relieves bridge and nasal soreness (red marks)
· Soft flexible silicone frame and cushion reduces irritation
Target groups and benefit:
Users with Sleep Apnea and require the nightly use of CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) therapy:
· Ultimate comfort and freedom in bed whilst feeling they're not wearing a mask at all.
· Sleep the way you normally sleep: on your side, stomach or back.
· With more of their face exposed the mask feels 'less medical' and removes any barrier between them and their partner.
· Reduced skin irritations and visible 'red marks' in the morning.
Expected business benefit/result:
· Improved brand recognition – Philips is the 'go to' brand for patient masks
· Increased market share and reputation
· Innovative molding technique to reduce parts and labor steps
· Easily replaceable parts
Very professional. Something that helps a lot of people.