Easy Skin-to-Skin babywearing apparel for secure bonding, comfort and health
There is a lot of evidence showing that skin-to-skin contact, or Kangaroo Mother Care (KMC) can decrease parental stress, postpartum depression, and is a natural way to bond with your baby. Skin-to-skin also coaxes the mother to produce breast milk, which is important for the baby's intestinal "good" bacteria growth and promotes the immune system.
Up until now, no solutions on the market took into consideration the many aspects of successful skin-to-skin as we did at Beibamboo. Our KMC apparel, designed together with NICU staff, offers a superior product that we are proud of. It is being used at NICUs in Finland, and we are hoping for a global reach very soon. It is also suitable for any parent to a healthy baby, wishing to make everyday life with a small baby a bit easier, and to enjoy the multiple benefits that KMC brings.
Skin-to-skin is proven to lower both the baby's and the parent's stress levels, thus aiding in recovery and lowering the risk of infections. KMC can be done by the father or mother, allowing the baby to hear and feel mum's familiar, unique heartbeat and to smell her scent. This helps bonding, which is hugely beneficial for both baby and parent. The chest of a person is the warmest place on the body, which reminds the baby of the conditions inside the womb.
Kangaroo Care is recommended by all NICUs and World Health Organisation, and is especially important for babies born via c-section.
Studies show the more kangaroo care is given to a preemie, the faster he/she heals. Kangaroo Care helps regulate and stabilize a baby's gut health and immunity, breathing, body temperature, blood oxygen levels, heart rate, blood sugar levels, sleep time and periodic crying. As our apparel can be worn by any parent, a possible 130 million babies born each year can enjoy the benefits our unique apparel brings.
Why did existing KMC choices on the market not work? Not including so called babywearing apparel that have to be worn on top of your clothes, such as Baby Bjorns or carriers, as they do NOT offer the skin-to-skin benefits, we did a detailed study and found that...
KMC being especially important in the NICU, parents tend to wear
- A regular tube top, with or withoutan oversized shirt that can be buttoned
- A hospital gown backwards (opening in front)
- A loose T-shirt or tank-top
- A blanket or throw
Meaning several instances that can be hazardous, like
- If parent falls asleep, the baby might glide down the front OR
- The baby cannot be removed fast, or easily, in case of an emergency OR
- To dress it requires the parent to bend forward (risk of baby falling) OR
- The parent feels exposed OR
- Proper wash/hygiene is not possible
- Fastenings are weak and can break in wash
Beibamboo offers a superior Kangaroo Care top that delivers both on imperatives and wishes - and adds a few extras for a unique experience
- Safety - no risk of baby falling or sliding down, allowing for hands-free carrying
- Security - fast, easy removal of baby in case of an emergency
- Monitoring of baby is easy - including observation of wires attached to the feet in teh NICU
- High level of hygiene - industry safe washable in +60°C
- Comfort and design - makes the parent feel secure and not too exposed
- Safe and soft materials - anti-bacteria treated, breathable, hospital-grade fabric
- Size adjustment - Only two sizes (S/M & L/XL), colour-coded for ease of choice. Suitable for big and small babies as pouch is also adjustable.
- Gender neutral colours that suit fathers too
Extra details our apparel has, includes:
- No seams inside - neither against the parents or the baby's skin
- Generous hood - for privacy and discreet breastfeeding. Can be pulled over parents eyes for napping (NOTE: recommended only while in reclined position, not for night-time sleeping!)
- Can be wrapped around the shoulders - for extra coverage & additional privacy, or for coverage when breastfeeding in public
- Large pockets - for keys, tissues, mobile…
- Anti-bacteria treated fabric by Finnish Medanta
Other wishes from the NICU care personnel included:
- As few sizes as possible for ease of choice and sorting; - The Beibamboo KMC top is limitlessly size adjustable and sizes are colour-coded for hygienic purposes, as there is no need to rummage thru the sortiment to find the appropriate size
- No extra pieces that gets lost in the industrial wash;
- The Beibamboo smart KMC design with a minimal amount of pattern pieces and fastening systems
- Design that also suit the fathers, as they are very important too:
-Beibamboo choses gender neutral designs/colours
SUMMARY: The design patented Beibamboo KMC top delivers an easy to use, hygienic and stylish way to increase both your and your baby's health and wellbeing, with long-lasting benefits. It let's you as a new parent get on with everyday tasks without losing sight of your baby, while providing security and comfort without compromise.