According to research, it is found that the elderly often exercise, socialize with neighbors, shop, and help in taking their grandchildren to and from school, or to the park to play. However, as the elderly age, they develop poor eyesight, hearing and balance, making them unsuitable to ride regular motorcycles. This may also cause danger to other riders on the road.
C-drive considers the developmental health of the elderly. The design features a three-wheel structure combined with a height-adjustable plate and supporting handrails, allowing the elderly to get on and off the car safely. The vehicle incorporates a shared seat for grandchildren, as well as a detachable shopping basket that is easily reattached to the back of the vehicle after the shopping is completed. The goal of the C-drive is to provide ease for the elderly to meet the needs of their daily routine.
Based on field observations and interviews, it is found that the daily life of the elderly is most often engaged in exercise, chatting with neighbours and shopping. However, it is found that it is less suitable for the elderly to operate motor vehicles due to their aging body, including symptoms such as poor vision, hearing and balance.
C-Drive considers the physical conditions of the elderly and combines a design of a three-wheel structure with a height adjustable car body and arm support, to assist in the them in getting on and off the car. Further, a shopping basket is designed to form as a part of the car's body, to be easily detached when required for use. After shopping, the cart can be reattached to the car with ease, saving the elderly time and effort. The purpose of C-Drive is to improve the elderly's experience in operating vehicles and help to fulfill their daily needs.
• The body of the vehicle is too high for the elderly to lift their legs over.
• The families of the elderly do not feel at ease not knowing where they are.
• It is dangerous to operate the vehicle in the dark if the headlights are insufficient.
• When an elderly person cart basket capacity is too small, items will be placed floor mats.
• System to raise/lower vehicle body From the dashboard, press a button to raise or lower the car body. The pressure system on the rear wheels allow for the body of the vehicle to reduce its height to as low as 5 cm from the ground. This will provide ease for the elderly to access the vehicle.
• Supporting Handles
The supporting handles will assist the elderly to pull the weight of their body in and out of the car with ease.
• Shopping cart
Pull the shopping cart handle outwards of the attached rail to remove it for use.
• Warning light
The brightness of the warning light is increased, allowing it to be more visible and increasing the safety of driving at night.
• Car passenger cushion
The seat can be extended to 55 cm to allow seating for children.
• Rotating cushion
The chair can rotate 45 degrees outward, so the elderly's feet can be directly above the ground to get on and off easier.
• Multi-functional handles
Can be extending by pressing the eject button, and pushed back easily when not needed. Can be used to hang shopping bags and act as a handle for children to hold on to.
• Motion Activated Lam
When the user approaches the vehicle, the lamp will sense the user's movement and turn on automatically. During travel, the lamp will switch into a signal light for directional use.
• Wind mask
The wind mask is transparent to help cope with changes in the weather. It protects from the rain, glares from the sun and prevents particles from flying into the eyes.
• Charging Dock
Allows for USB cords and regular outlets to charge devices.
Conventional battery indicators are not clear and does not properly display the battery life of the vehicle. The dashboard magnifies the battery display as well as the other features and functions of the vehicle.
1. Dial button: when vehicle parts fail, the repair shop is directly notified, and sent the current location.
2. The light display: Strengthened light display, making the vehicle more visible at night.
3. lift system: to get off the vehicle with ease, press the button to lower the height of the vehicle.
4. daytime message: displays the date, time, weather conditions and temperatures for the day.
5. The navigation system: display the current position and route to destinations.
6. Battery power display: Shows the elderly the time and distance the vehicle can operate for before running out of power.
Shopping Basket Usage Overview
- Lower the front and rear wheels by 12 cm at the same time.
- lower overall body height.
- Upon completion, rotate the seat cushion 45 degrees outward to get off of the vehicle.
- Remove the shopping basket at the rear of the vehicle and approach the destination to shop.
- Place the merchandise into the shopping basket.
- Place the shopping basket back onto the rear of the car once the shopping is finished.
- Use the supporting handles to climb back onto the car.
- Once the vehicle starts, click on the system to raise the body of the car back to a 'ready to drive' state.