OPlay - A Medical Product for Children with Asthma
OPlay is an innovative solution for asthma medication and monitoring for children. For children, symptoms like stridors, and complex treatments may affect their experience of therapy, and even self-acceptance.
It integrates the playing of musical instrument into the use of medical products, with two functions of asthma spacer and peak flow measuring. Measuring results will be uploaded to the app. OPlay makes the medicating, test, and recording a seamless procedure, and offers a possibility for children to increase adjustment frequency.
By analog with functions of musical instruments, OPlay transforms the complex process into several simple steps. When children use OPlay, it senses actions and plays corresponding melodies. Different music pieces are feed-backs in each operation stage. At the same time, the operation time is guided by light to help children do medicating and testing more happily. OPlay makes the tedious therapy a joyful recital presented by children.
OPlay is a medical product designed for children with asthma. The aim of OPlay is to open up a world of music, and to relieve children's anxiety about asthma. Playing music during asthma treatment and testing can help children accept their condition in a proper way.
Our starting point is to give children a relaxed and comfortable way of dealing with their chronic illnesses.
According to the CDC, about 7 million children in the United States have asthma, which means that one in 12 children has asthma. And the number of children with asthma is growing.
A specialist can only play a 20% role in managing asthma, the remaining 80% is done by the patient. However, for many asthmatics, the daily routines of asthma medication and management can be a complex process, not to mention for children.
After researching asthma patients, we found that the frequent medication and wheezing of asthma can make children feel nervous and stressed outside. Being different from others and being absent from some activities made them resent their condition from time to time.
So we thought: is it possible to change this kind of "special"?
Through consultation with doctors and pharmacological representatives, we learned about asthma medication and treatment mechanisms. After brainstorming, we realized that the process of administering inhalers is similar to playing harmonica, so it became our main task to see if we could add music to the process.
We modeled the shaking of the medication as a sand hammer, the pressing of the medication as a triangle, and the inhaling and exhaling as a harmonica. We then found that the process of administering asthma medication, when paired with different instruments, would be like a recital.
After a return visit to the user, and after the user's approval, we implemented the solution as a recital with music and lights. At the same time, we incorporated the function of the peak flow measuring to simulate a musical instrument audition, taking into account the need to monitor the user's condition.
OPlay's stylistic elements are derived from musical instruments and toys, changing the impression of medical products from cold and rigid to a more friendly and rounded shape, making the product more interesting and psychologically accessible to children.
On the other hand, the rounded shape of the tube has the semantic meaning of gripping the product. The rounded tube is also easier for children to grasp and use, comparing to the traditional inhaler's L shape.
The colors are light blue and white, trying to create a sense of calm and purity. The body is made of silicone Polycarbonate (PC) silicone, which is safe and skin-friendly for children. The pill reservoir is coated with Anti-static Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene to improve suction efficiency.
By transforming the 'special' of asthmatic children into something with fun, musical, and light, we not only aim to help them build acceptance and confidence in themselves, but also to help them develop good medication and measuring habits.
Also, considering that playing the same track for a long time can be monotonous, we have paired it with an app that allows users to unlock more instruments and tracks by maintaining good medication and monitoring habits.